Thursday, February 21, 2013

9 Essential Elements of Leadership


A few months ago, in the span of one week, I found myself speaking about what makes for effective leadership at three different leadership development programs at three different companies. Brevity is always important at such events, so I found myself whittling down my talking points down to what I considered the most essential elements. Here is where I landed in 100 words (more or less):
Leadership is…
  1. Earned by one’s actions each and every day, not bestowed by virtue of having the word “manager” in your title
  1. Being in the service of others, not being served by them
  1. Humility and integrity, not hubris and self-interest
  1. Listening more and talking less
  1. Knowing what questions to ask rather than knowing all the answers
  1. Connecting ideas, people and resources, not controlling them
  1. Creating opportunities and removing roadblocks
  1. Consistency even in chaos and transparency in times of turmoil
  1. A journey not a destination: it is a process, not an outcome
Do these resonate with you? How would you define effective leadership?

No comments:

Post a Comment